Journey with us to the island of Borneo to an Orangutan Rehabilitation Center where you will be involved with conservation efforts to ensure these amazing animals have a future in Borneo. This will truly be a week out of your life unlike anything you will experience at home!
This trip can be purchased as an add-on to the INCREDIBLE INDONESIA trip or separately.
Journey to the island of Borneo for a unique experience where you will be immersed in the local community and fascinating wildlife of the Borneo rainforest. Get involved with conservation activities conducted in and around a village along the Kinabatangan River and the Orangutan Rehabilitation Center. See Orangutans up close and understand how different conservation efforts are working to ensure these amazing animals have a future in Borneo.
If you’ve always longed to experience a real equatorial rainforest, Borneo will fulfill your wildest dreams. The island’s jungles conjure up remoteness and adventure, bringing to mind impenetrable foliage and wild river trips. Borneo also brings together an astonishing array of cultures, religions and age-old traditions of hospitality, welcoming all visitors. Most cities have significant Chinese communities, while the picturesque coastal kampung (villages) of Sabah and Sarawak are populated mainly by Malays. Traveling inland, the dominant culture is indigenous with many ancient customs and ceremonies in the communities.
For many visitors to Borneo, their most memorable moment is glimpsing a wild Orangutan swinging through the jungle canopy, spotting an Irrawaddy dolphin in the shimmering waters of the South China Sea, or locking eyes with the reptilian gaze of a saltwater croc. This can be your memory too.
WHO IS THIS TRIP FOR
This special life-changing adventure trip is for all ages. The focus of this trip is for anyone wishing to experience a culture very unique and different from your own. Not only will you learn about this amazing region of the world, you will also participate in some very unique local activities and get involved in a much-needed humanitarian effort with the Orangutans.
In addition, there will be time spent specifically with children traveling with us to encourage cultural awareness and understanding, and the ways each person can participate in global efforts to improve our world.
This trip will amaze, fulfill and rejuvenate you as well as create lifelong memories and understandings about the world we live in. You will make new friends and strengthen the bond with your loved ones sharing this adventure with you.
- 7 days in Borneo
- Learn about the “Corridor of Life” that sits alongside the Kinabatangan River and why this place has been deemed a high priority conservation area
- Become immersed in the local community and fascinating wildlife of the Borneo rainforest
- Spend time in the beautiful Sukau village, with conservation activities conducted in and around the village
- Join the villagers in their homes for meals, hear about their daily lives, chat with the children, learn their family structure and see how the Orang Sungai have been living off the rivers and jungles for centuries
- Help restore habitats around the village
- Plant trees to preserve wildlife and biodiversity. Clear forest areas, help with nursery care and seedling generation
- Spend time in the local Orangutan Rehabilitation Center. Understand how different conservation efforts work to ensure orangutans’ future in Borneo
- Cruise the “corridor of life” river and its tributaries to observe endangered wildlife
- Participate in a guided jungle trek for an introduction to the flora and fauna of the rainforest and learn what the rainforest traditionally offers in terms of medicine, food and survival
- Spend time at a local school where children are working on conservation issues on a daily basis
- Day 1: Arrival into Sandakan International Airport, transfer to a longhouse style accommodation in Sepilok with unobstructed views of the surrounding forest, welcoming dinner with our local guide, spend the evening learning about the “Corridor of Life”.
- Day 2 – 5: Transfer to Sukau, health & safety briefing, orientation and tour around the village, various activities in the afternoon (see highlights for description of activities) which you will continue for the next 4 days.
- Day 6: After saying goodbye to the local people of the Orang Sungai, you will travel from Sukau to the Rainforest Discovery Centre then to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre. This will be an incredible chance to see the Orangutans up close and is a truly once in a lifetime opportunity. Your final evening can be spent resting and relaxing in a comfortable city hotel in the heart of Sandakan.
- Day 7: After breakfast, transfer from hotel to the city to Sandakan Airport for your return flight.
Food is simply prepared, and made with predominantly locally sourced ingredients. If you notify us in advance, we will make every effort to accommodate any special diet concern you may have.
Our focus is to offer you affordable and comfortable cultural experiences. Rest assured that all accommodations have been tested by our team and are located in safe areas.
The first night will be spent in a longhouse style accommodation in Sepilok, with unobstructed views of the surrounding forest. The following nights will be spent in a beautiful Bornean B&B. The final night in Indonesia will be spent in a comfortable city hotel in the heart of Sandakan.
Please note that computer and internet access may be limited in certain locations. This will be an opportunity for you to totally experience your environment and what you are learning. You will disconnect from your routine, and fully engage and embrace your experience.
- $1,500 USD per person (double occupancy) if purchased as an add-on to INCREDIBLE INDONESIA trip, single occupancy rates available
- $1,800 USD per person (double occupancy) if purchased separately, single occupancy rates available
- $500 USD non-refundable deposit to hold your spot
- Balance due 60 days prior to trip date
- Payment plans available
- Transfers to and from the airport
- Full orientation and support from local team
- All Accommodations as mentioned in the itinerary
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Entrance fees to the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and the Rainforest Discovery Centre
- A monetary contribution to the conservation efforts in the area
Does not include
- International and/or domestic Airfare
- Travel insurance to include cover for repatriation
- Visas if required
- Laundry services
- Snacks and meals during travel days or meals on certain days as specified in the daily schedule
- Extras such as souvenirs, toiletries, batteries, sunscreen and other personal items
SEND US AN EMAIL TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION AND/OR TO SIGN UP FOR THIS TRIP:
OR CALL US AT: +1 323 522 5831
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!
Please check this link for specific regulations for this trip, and see your doctor for all medical requirements:
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
A non-refundable deposit per person and per trip of $500 is required to hold your spot. The remainder of the full balance is due 90 days prior to the trip start date. Arrangements can be made for payment plans within that frame.
There is a minimum of 6 participants to confirm the trip. If there are not enough participants, it may be cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We recommend not purchasing flights until the trip is confirmed. Should a trip be canceled by Cultural Adventure Trips, you will be contacted immediately and receive a full refund of all trip fees paid to Cultural Adventure Trips which will constitute full settlement or be allowed to transfer to another equivalent trip. We recommend purchasing optional trip/travel insurance.
If Cultural Adventure Trips should cancel a trip within 30 days of departure because of natural disaster, terrorism or civil unrest, you will receive a full refund only. Cultural Adventure Trips is not responsible for expenses incurred in preparation for any cancelled trips, such as airline tickets or for costs incurred due to travel delays, flight cancellations or illness.
If you must cancel your reservation for any reason, the cancellation fee per person is as follows:
Number of days prior to trip start:
91+ days: $500 (deposit is non-refundable)
61-90 days: 25% of trip price
31-60 days: 50% of trip price
0-30 days: 100% of trip price
Exceptions to this policy cannot be made for any reason, including those of weather or personal emergencies. There is no refund for arriving late or leaving a trip early. Single room supplements are considered part of the trip price and are subject to cancellation fees. If you fail to provide signed “Release of Liability, Assumption of All Risk, Indemnification and Cancellation Policy” and Personal Information forms prior to your trip departure, you will not be allowed to join the trip and will be subject to Cultural Adventure Trips’ standard cancellation policy as described above.