Journey with us to travel deep into the Manu Rainforest, where very few people have ever trekked. Discover the wildlife and the people who call it their home. Mischievous capuchin monkeys, tasty Amazonian superfruits, smiling locals who live in perfect harmony with the natural world, and the rich rainforest scenery will ensure you a lifetime of lasting memories.
This trip can be purchased as an add-on to the MYSTICAL PERU trip or separately.
This once in a lifetime trip will allow you an opportunity to journey deep into the Peruvian Amazon Forest, where you will spend some time with the native tribal people, the Huachipaires, Matsiguenkas and Quechuas to discover their land and their customs.
The people living in this area are in desperate need of clean water. In this journey, you will learn about the low-tech water and sanitation infrastructure in the villages provided by the Rainforest Flow Program. You will see how the various water projects currently being developed by this program are aiding in all of the villages, and providing ongoing health and education to the families living there.
Look around, and you will experience rainforest ecology, see the medicinal plants growing, be surrounded by towering land of indescribable beauty, and watch wildlife you will not see back home: birds, giant otters, caimans and jaguars. Most of all, you will participate with the generational shift that is restoring indigenous people back to health. It is a week out of your life that you will never be able to repeat. That is what life experience gives you. Unforgettable memories.
WHO IS THIS TRIP FOR
This special life-changing adventure trip is for all ages. The focus of this trip is for anyone wishing to experience a culture very unique and different from your own. You will travel to see wildlife indigenous to this land. Not only will you learn about this amazing region of the world, you will also participate in some very unique local activities, and get involved in a much-needed humanitarian effort with the local tribes in the Amazon Forest through the Rainforest Flow Program.
In addition, there will be time spent specifically with children traveling with us to encourage cultural awareness and understanding, and the ways each person can participate in global efforts to improve our world.
This trip will amaze, fulfill and rejuvenate you as well as create lifelong memories and understandings about the world we live in. You will make new friends and strengthen the bond with your loved ones sharing this adventure with you.
- Spend time in one of the most pristine regions left on Earth
- See up-close local indigenous communities who live as they always have, in perfect harmony with nature
- Cook a traditional meal with the women of the village
- Learn how to help these tribes survive the local challenges for clean water and sanitation.
- Experience how one organization is making a big difference by finding innovative solutions.
- Learn about local medicinal plants and traditional uses of them
- Cruise down the Alto Madre de Dos River and observe astonishing wildlife
- Learn about indigenous spirituality
- Explore the forest by torchlight at night looking for insects and other nocturnal animals
- Observe parrots, monkeys and rare blue-headed macaws
- Relax and take a bath in natural Hot Springs
- Visit local orchid sanctuary and animal rescue center
- Day 1 (Cusco-Cloud Forest): Leaving Cusco early in the morning, we begin an 8-hour journey over the Andes by bus, stopping for breakfast at the beautiful colonial village of Paucartambo. Continuing, we climb to the highpoint of the Manu Biosphere at about 4000 m before descending to the cloud forest. In these mysterious surroundings, we walk to the lek of the incredible cock-of-the-rock, to see the performance of the males right under our eyes. We spend our first night in the rustic lodge Posada San Pedro (appr. 1,600 m).
- Day 2 (Cloud Forest-Cocha Machuhuasi-Pantiacolla Lodge): At daybreak, we continue by bus to the tropical lowland rainforest. At the little village Pilcopata, we leave the main road to reach the indigenous Community Santa Rosa de Huacaria. Three indigenous groups live here together, the Huachipaires, Matsiguenkas and Quechuas, who have been the first to benefit from the clean-water and sanitation system of the Rainforest Flow Program. Rainforest Flow provides important solutions to the many local challenges for clean water and sanitation by adapting local materials. We will receive a tour and explanation of the installations by personnel from the local water committee. Afterwards, Don Alberto Manqueriapa will enlighten us about local medicinal plants and traditional uses. The night will be spent in the little hostel, Paradise Inn, on the “outskirts” of Pilcopata.
- Day 3 (Pilcopata-Atalaya-Cocha Machuhuasi-Pantiacolla Lodge): Early in the morning, our bus takes us to the small port on the Alto Madre de Dios River, Atalaya. Here, at 650 m, we change into a motorized canoe to navigate 2 hours down the fast-flowing river. We stop for a walk to visit one of the very few lakes on the Alto Madre de Dios River, where travel is by small traditional rafts. For the next two nights, we stay at Pantiacolla Lodge, residing at the foot of the Pantiacolla Mountain Range. The forest surrounding the Pantiacolla Lodge is very special: this is where the Andes and the lowland tropical rainforest meet. Your first walk will be on the lowland trails, at 400m above sea level. In the evening, we will get together with Don Alberto Manqueriapa, who will introduce us to indigenous Huachipaire & Matsiguenka spirituality. We will spend the night at the Pantiacolla Lodge.
- Day 4 (Clay Lick for Parrots–Excursion to the Petroleo Stream): For those who wish to participate, before breakfast, the boat will take us to a nearby clay lick for parrots and the rare blue-headed macaw. This excursion is dependent upon the weather and the bird activity at the clay lick. Alternatively, our guide will take us on an early morning walk through the forest. After breakfast, we begin our work with the four elements of the Amazon Cosmo vision with Don Alberto. We will include a lunch time forest walk. In the late afternoon, we will finish with a closing circle. Our night exploration will be by torchlight through the forest looking for insects, snakes, and the uniquely nocturnal night-monkey or ‘douricouli´. We also visit Ranacocha, Frog Lake. We will remain overnight in the Panctiacolla Lodge.
- Day 5 (Atalaya, Cusco): We travel by boat, with amazing views of the Andes, back up the Alto Madre de Dios River to Atalaya. Opposite of the indigenous community of Shintuya, we stop for a relaxing bath in their hot springs. Once in Atalaya, we continue by bus up the Andes. Along the way, we visit a local orchid sanctuary or an animal rescue center. Lunch will be at the Posada San Pedro Lodge. We arrive in Cusco in the late afternoon or early evening.
All of the meals will be made with fresh local ingredients. If you notify us in advance, we will make every effort to accommodate any special diet concern you may have.
Our focus is to offer you affordable and comfortable cultural experiences. Rest assured that all accommodations have been tested by our team and are located in safe areas.
Rustic, yet comfortable, the lodges and small hotels we will be staying in offer double rooms with comfortable beds, linens, mosquito nets, shared bathrooms with hot water. Electricity is provided at night by a generator.
Please note that computer and internet access may be limited in certain locations. This will be an opportunity for you to totally experience your environment and what you are learning. You will disconnect from your routine, and fully engage and embrace your experience.
- $1,500 USD per person (double occupancy) if purchased as an add-on to MYSTICAL PERU trip, single occupancy rates available
- $1,800 USD per person (double occupancy) if purchased separately, single occupancy rates available
- $500 USD non-refundable deposit to hold your spot
- Balance due 60 days prior to trip date
- Payment plans available
- Naturalist guide
- Transportation Cusco/Cloud Forest/Atalaya/Cloud Forest/Cusco by private vehicle (van or bus)
- Transportation Atalaya/Lake Machuhuasi/Pantiacolla Lodge/Atalaya by private boat
- Overnights in lodges and Pilcopata Hostal
- Excursions mentioned in the itinerary
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Water at any time and warm drinks or lemonades with meals
- Guide book for rainforest of Manu – Talking About Manu
- A monetary contribution to the humanitarian efforts in the area
Does not include
- Extra snacks, chocolate, water bottles, soft drinks, wines and spirits
- Tips for guide, driver, family mom
- Laundry, taxis if needed
- Travel insurance to cover for repatriation
- Visas if required
SEND US AN EMAIL TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION AND/OR TO SIGN UP FOR THIS TRIP:
OR CALL US AT: +1 323 522 5831
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!
Please check this link for specific regulations for this trip, and see your doctor for all medical requirements:
Please not that Manu National Park is not an endemic area for malaria or yellow fever, but we recommend using insect repellent. River water is not recommended for human consumption. Purified water will be provided at all lodges.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
A non-refundable deposit per person and per trip of $500 is required to hold your spot. The remainder of the full balance is due 90 days prior to the trip start date. Arrangements can be made for payment plans within that frame.
There is a minimum of 6 participants to confirm the trip. If there are not enough participants, it may be cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We recommend not purchasing flights until the trip is confirmed. Should a trip be canceled by Cultural Adventure Trips, you will be contacted immediately and receive a full refund of all trip fees paid to Cultural Adventure Trips which will constitute full settlement or be allowed to transfer to another equivalent trip. We recommend purchasing optional trip/travel insurance.
If Cultural Adventure Trips should cancel a trip within 30 days of departure because of natural disaster, terrorism or civil unrest, you will receive a full refund only. Cultural Adventure Trips is not responsible for expenses incurred in preparation for any cancelled trips, such as airline tickets or for costs incurred due to travel delays, flight cancellations or illness.
If you must cancel your reservation for any reason, the cancellation fee per person is as follows:
Number of days prior to trip start:
91+ days: $500 (deposit is non-refundable)
61-90 days: 25% of trip price
31-60 days: 50% of trip price
0-30 days: 100% of trip price
Exceptions to this policy cannot be made for any reason, including those of weather or personal emergencies. There is no refund for arriving late or leaving a trip early. Single room supplements are considered part of the trip price and are subject to cancellation fees. If you fail to provide signed “Release of Liability, Assumption of All Risk, Indemnification and Cancellation Policy” and Personal Information forms prior to your trip departure, you will not be allowed to join the trip and will be subject to Cultural Adventure Trips’ standard cancellation policy as described above.